|Tax Status:||Tax Exempt|
HISTORY and DESCRIPTION:
45ft. VINTAGE MOTOR-YACHT FOR RESTORATION, designed by Higley Halliday and built in 1927 by Taylor & Bates Ltd. Chertsey, Surrey for Frank Muirhead of Elmers End, Beckenham
“A rare opportunity to restore a vintage teak motor-yacht from the 1920s. Few English motor-yacht survive from this period and as such are highly sought-after. Much preliminary work has been undertaken and MARALIA is afloat on the East Coast. In recent years values of restored motor-yachts like MARALIA have increased making this a worthwhile project”
In 1927 Frank Muirhead commission successful naval architect Higley Halliday (1875-1962) to design a 45ft. motor-yacht to be built by Thames based boat-builders James Taylor & Bates of Chertsey, Surrey.
The resulting motor-yacht launched as PRUNELLA later that year was reviewed in The Motor-Boat Magazine 15th April 1927 and after launching on 17th June 1927. In the 10th May 1935 issue, Higley Halliday declared PRUNELLA to be one of his favourite and most successful designs, a very satisfactory coastal cruising vessel.
PRUNELLA had a 4 cylinder Thornycroft wing engine fitted in 1933 with the original Brooke petrol engine replaced in 1935 by a 6 cylinder Thornycroft engine. In 1938 Frank Muirhead commissioned a larger 53ft. PRUNELLA, re-naming the original SAUDADES. Before the outbreak of war, Frank sold SAUDADES to V S Maxwell of the Wirral, Cheshire. He was not to enjoy his motor-yacht for very long before SAUDADES was requisitioned for coastal patrol during the Second World War. She was returned to her owner in 1947. In the early 1950s, L E Townsend of Chichester bought SAUDADES.
In the late 1950s, A D Cory James of Wimbledon Common bought the boat and re-named her MARALIA. He fitted a BMC 31hp diesel wing engine in 1960 followed by a 52hp BMC main diesel in 1961. Cory James stationed MARALIA in Yarmouth, Isle of Wight.
In the late 1960s, J R Billinge of Bromsgrove bought MARALIA and moved her up to Worcester Yacht Basin where she remained until 1996. She cruised the River Severn with the Severn Motor Yacht Club and beyond to the Bristol Channel. In 1996 she was sold by Classic Yacht Brokerage as a live-aboard to a couple from Essex. The current owner bought MARALIA in 2016 and began an internal refit. Ownership of another vintage boat has taken priority so reluctantly MARALIA is being offered for sale.
Traditional carvel planked hull, 1-inch thick teak, copper rove fastened to steam bent oak timbers. Sheathed teak-laid flush deck, painted teak superstructure. Long straight keel, round bilges, radius transom stern and straight plumb stem. Iron ballast keel.
Interior mostly dismantled and non-original joinery and fittings removed. All original fittings and teak joinery carefully removed and stored such as panelled doors etc.
Bilge cleaned throughout.
Ketch Rig with deck stepped wooden masts and booms. Rigging in fair condition. Two sails.
Engines removed as un-serviceable.
Anchor Windlass, dodgers, two bilge pumps, fenders and mooring ropes.
Previously sold by Classic Yacht Brokerage.
Contact us for more information or to arrange an appointment to view.
VIEWING: Through the brokers – CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE
|Builder:||Taylor & Bates, Chertsey|
|Length over all:||45'|
|Length of deck:||45'|
|Length at waterline:||42' 6"|
|Maximum draft:||3' 8"|
|Keel type:||Full Keel|
Important Note: The particulars / images of the vessels listed on this website are believed to be accurate but are not guaranteed, buyers should satisfy themselves regarding the same. No warranty is given as to the condition of vessel's hull, machinery and equipment / gear and an examination by a qualified marine surveyor is always recommended.
Note: Indicated location is approximate general area only.